Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 45 min
Ingredients (8 servings):
- 1 package of Grandma Maud's Black Beans & Rice Meal
- 2 ¾ cups water
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 can (8oz.) tomato sauce
- 4 cans of (8oz.) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Break up turkey in a medium saucepan. Add red onion, salt & pepper. Cook over medium high heat until turkey is browned; stir in black bean & rice mix, water, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes until rice is tender.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- On baking sheet, unroll dough into 1 large rectangle; press perforations and edges to seal. Using a coffee mug or cup, cut out 16 dough rounds.
- To make each empanada, place about 2 tablespoons of turkey mixture onto the center of each dough round. Using fingers, gently brush edge of each round with beaten egg white. Fold dough round in half to cover filling; press edge together to seal. Lightly brush tops of empanadas with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
1. Don't worry about following the instructions on the back of the bean meal package because the same ingredients and steps are woven into this recipe.
2. You can make your empanadas as small or large as you would like, the coffee mug makes small-medium empanadas shown in the recipe picture.
3. If you have leftover turkey/black bean mix, use it in tacos or add some guacamole for fun protein filled dip!